Skin Tags are very common soft harmless lesions that appear to hang off the skin. They are also described as:
- Fibroepithelial polyps
- Soft fibromas
- Pedunculated (this means they are on a stalk)
- Filiform (this means they are thread-like)
They develop in both men and women as they grow older. They are skin coloured or darker and range in size from 1mm to 5cm. They are most often found in the skin folds (necks, armpits, groin). They tend to be more numerous in obese persons and in those with type 2 diabetes mellitus. They are made up of loosely arranged collagen fibers and blood vessels surrounded by a thickened or thinned-out epidermis.
What Causes Skin Tags?
- Chaffing and irritation from skin rubbing together
- High levels of growth factors, particularly during pregnancy or in acromegaly (gigantism)
- Insulin resistance (syndrome X)
- Human papilloma virus (wart virus)
How Can They Be Removed?
- Surgical excision(often with scissors)
- Ligation(a suture is tied around the neck of the skin tag)
Request For A Free Consultation Today
At Adam and Eve Cosmetic Medical Center, we endeavour to deliver the finest services to our customers by providing coordinated, compassionate and high quality health care treatments with equal stress on integral components of medical education and research. We pledge to set and practice highest standards of healthcare delivery through our contemporary quality management system, such that we can guarantee our guests that our healthcare services not only meet, but also exceed their expectations synergistically.