Laser Hair Removal–– What to Do Before and After?
Removing unwanted hairs using a concentrated beam of light is the best hair removal procedure that exists in the world of cosmetology. Unlike other hair removal methods such as shaving, plucking, etc., laser hair removal damages the hair follicles to stop or delay hair growth. In some cases, however, the body’s biological functions still prevail over this treatment. Some patients need maintenance treatments if hair growth is still present after the first few procedures.
To save yourself from the hassle of managing the treatment’s side effects, here are the dos and don’ts before and after laser hair removal.
- Stay out of the sun as much as possible. But if you really need to go out, apply SPF30 sunscreen.
- Don’t pluck or wax your hair four weeks before your laser hair removal treatment. Performing other hair removal methods will disturb hair follicles.
- Before your appointment, it is recommended to shave or trim the area that is going to be treated. This avoids surface skin damage caused by burnt hairs.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes on the day.
- Drink at least 1 liter of water the day before and the day of treatment – this helps your body to regulate its temperature.
- Avoid applying any products on areas of treatment, keep it dry and clean prior to treatment.
- Do not exercise before the treatment.
- Wear loose clothes for 2 days after treatment to avoid friction.
- Keep the treated area clean and dry.
- Drink lots of water.
- Apply cold compress on the treated area to reduce irritation and discomfort.
- Don’t expose the skin to UV light or sunlight two weeks after treatment.
- Don’t go to steam rooms, spas, saunas, or other heat treatments for 1 week.
- Don’t apply pressure or excessively scrub the skin for 5 days to allow the skin to recover and avoid infection.
- Don’t shave the treated area three days after treatment.
- Don’t exercise 2 days after treatment.
- Don’t shower with hot water 2 days after treatment.
- Don’t swim or avoid anything that contains chlorine for at least 2 days.
- Don’t put make-up on the treated area for 2 days.
- Don’t apply bleaching creams or perfumed products for 2 days.
- Don’t scratch the treated area where crusting or blistering occur to avoid scarring.
Keep these tips in mind for successful and effective laser hair removal results!